Watch the full segment! More details to get you started below.
eBay Valet: The solution for those too lazy to list on eBay themselves.
eBay professionals sell your items for you! No need to list it, promote it on your own.
- Photograph your goods, valets will evaluate within an hour and either estimate it, or reject it.
- Bring your items to drop off center or mail them in with a postage-paid shipping label.
- Valets take care of the listing. They keep relisting it until it moves for free!
- You make up to 80% of the sale price once it sells (if over $200), you make 60% on less than $50. They pay you within 4 weeks of receiving your items.
- They will take electronics, designer shoes, handbags, high-end appliances, instruments, sporting goods.
- They will not take clothing, anything heavier than 25lbs, anything worth less than $40, media (CDs, DVDs, books), high-value items that require authentication (jewelry, art).
Poshmark: Social shopping, think making your Instagram feed shoppable!
- List your items in less than one minute, with a street–style photo you take yourself (or with a friend!) – you can even apply filters.
- The idea is that you turn your closet into a “boutique,” and then, to drum up potential buyers, you follow other users and share items from their closet.
- There are also virtual “Posh Parties” that occur within the app, which you can join and use as a means of promoting the items in your closet.
- About 500,000 “boutiques” in the app, with each one listing more than 25 items for sale on average.
- Poshmark takes a 20 percent cut of every sale — which covers the cost of shipping and returns (they give you a pre-paid, pre-addressed label!).
Twice: For when you need the up-front cash now. ASAP. Yesterday.
- Twice buys men’s and women’s clothing outright, and then later sells it in its marketplace.
- This means that Twice offers you a really low price for your items — on average, it’s around an 80 percent markdown from the original retail price — but you get the funds immediately upon accepting Twice’s offer.
- Earn $1-3 for 1 products from retailers like Gap, Express and American Eagle, about $2-6 from J. Crew, Banana and Levi’s, $5-12 for Kate Spade, Coach.
- Even though the offers are low, Twice says that around 97 percent of sellers accept them. (Part of the reason is they charge to get it shipped back to you!)
- It won’t accept some brands, including H&M, Forever 21 or Old Navy.
- Print out a free Twice shipping label or request a Selling Kit box in which to ship your items.
ThredUp: For the straggler pieces in your closet: Clothing kids that outgrow seasonally — and your maternity pants!
- Order a pre-paid thredUP Clean Out Bag, fill it with juniors and kids clothing (they also accept adults).
- ThredUp pros review clothing and pay up to 80% of the resale value, you can earn thredUP credit or cash out with PayPal.
- Items they don’t accept can be sent to a charitable partner or mailed back to you for $12.99.
- Earn up to $6 for GAP girls jeans, $12 for an Old Navy top and these types of items quality for an up-front payout, so you get paid before item is sold.